Nirmala Province Thrissur
CMC Nirmala Province, Thrissur, one among the twenty four Provinces and 4 Regions of the Congregation of the Mother of Carmel began her history on the dawn of 9th May 1897, when the first Convent named as St.Joseph’s in Thrissur Vicariate was blessed and inaugurated at Ambazhakkad. The history of Nirmala is just a part and continuation of the whole history of the CMC, which was founded in 1866 by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara (1805 – 1871) and Fr.Leopold Beccaro OCD (1837 – 1914). CMC had a very humble beginning at Koonammavu with just four members in a small thatched house with bamboo mats for wall. The history of Syro-Malabar Church has great impact on the history of the Congregation too. The formulation of Thrissur and Kottayam Vicariates for the Syrian Catholics on 20th May 1887 resulted in significant changes at all levels. On 17th September 1890, the sisters belonging to the Latin Rite got separated from Koonammavu. As the request for a native Bishop was a constant concern of the laity of that time, there took place the partition of the Syrian Dioceses as Thrissur, Ernakulam and Changanacherry under native Bishops. According to this new arrangement, sisters belonging to the Thrissur Diocese were taken to the first convent at Ambazhakkad.
Through The History of Nirmala Province
Sr. Rose Beatrice was the first Sister Superior of the Convent and St. Euphrasia was one of the nine novices. There was a hike in the number of convents as well as members. All the new convents started were under the direct administration of the Bishop. The first attempt at the unification of convents was done in 1937 and Mother Mariam Magdalena Palathingal was elected as the first Mother General of the CMC Thrissur Province on 20th March. St. Mary's Convent Ollur was the Mother House. The administration was handed over to the General Team members by Bishop. New initiatives were taken in different fields including health, education, social work and mission. The first mission house was started in 1962 in Pulgaon. As the number of members increased, the administration and formation were shifted to Holy Trinity Convent Kolazhy in 1961 which still continues as the Mother House. With the unification of various CMC communities in
different Dioceses under the Leadership of Fr. Hippolitus Kunnumkal OFM Cap. on 16th November 1963, the convents came under the Thrissur Diocese was named as Nirmala Province Thrissur. As the Province was flourished with members, convents and institutions, it was trifurcated into Thrissur, Irinjalakuda and Palakkad Provinces in 1977 and later Nirmal Jyothi Mission Province was originated on 22nd June 1998 in Bina, M.P. Challenging ventures and undertakings are numerous over the years. Now the Province is blessed with the saintly presence of Saint Euphrasia who was raised to the glories of Holy Altars in 2002 as Venerable and became Blessed on 3rd Dec 2006. November 23, 2014, is a golden year in the annals of Nirmala province as she triumphantly received saintly duo St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara and St.Euphrasia with much spiritual fervour and enthusiasm. CMC Nirmala province is in the midst of the mission of the founder fathers. Through the intertwined prayer and action in her path of the victorious journey led by the Almighty, she has her mission extended to Kalyan Diocese, Bombay, Germany, America, Rome and Africa.
Responding to the Divine Call of the Lord, the members of the Nirmala Province are fully involved in selfless service for the uplift of women and children and the people of God at large and for the salvation of the souls:
• Through Educational institutions for the upbringing of the young generation, especially girls from kindergarten to Colleges (54)
• By extending healing hands through hospitals(2), Nursing Schools (2), Homeo clinics(3) and dispensaries (1)
• By empowering women through the social centres(2)
• By enriching souls through Spiritual and Psychological counselling (1)
• By giving spiritual direction through St.Euphrasia Retreat centre
• With selfless services in old age homes(2), orphanages (2) and special schools (1)
Hearing the clarion call of the sesquicentennial jubilee Nirmala proudly moves to the new vistas along with her 570 daughters, in all the continents under the shadow of the Highest.