CMC Nirmala Province, one among the twenty Provinces of the Congregation of the Mother of Carmel began her history on the dawn of 9th May 1897, when the first convent in Thrissur Vicariate was blessed and inaugurated at Ambazhakkad. The history of Nirmala is just a part and continuation of the whole history of the CMC, which was founded in 1866 by Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara and Fr.Leopold Beccaro OCD.CMC had a very humble beginning at Koonammavu with just three members in a small thatched house with bamboo mats for wall.
The history of Syro-Malabar Church has great impact on the history of the Congregation too. The formulation of Thrissur and Kottayam Vicariates for the Syrian Catholics on 20th May 1887 resulted in significant changes at all levels.On 17th September 1890, the sisters belonging to the Latin Rite got separated from Koonammavu. As the request for a native Bishop was a constant concern of the laity of that time, there took place the partition of the Syrian Dioceses as Thrissur, Ernakulam and Changanacherry under native Bishops. According to this new arrangement, sisters belonging to the Thrissur Diocese were taken to the first convent at Ambazhakkad which was founded on 9th May 1897.
Sr. Rose Beatrice was the first Sister Superior of the Convent and Bl. Euphrasia was one of the nine novices. There was a hike in the number of convents as well as members. All the new convents started were under the direct administration of the Bishop. The first attempt of unification of convents was done in 1937 and Mother Mariam Magdalena Palathingal was elected as the first Mother General of the CMC Thrissur Province on 20th March. St.Marys Convent Ollur was the Mother House. The administration was handed over to the General Team members. New initiatives were taken in different fields including health, education, social work and mission. The first mission house was started in 1962 in Pulgone. As the number of members increased, the administration and formation were shifted to Holy Trinity Convent Kolazhy in 1961 which still continues as the Mother House.
With unifcation of various CMC communities in different Dioceses under the Chairmanship of Fr. Hippolitus Kunnumkal OFM Cap. on 16th November 1963, the convents under the Thrissur Diocese was named as Nirmala Province Thrissur. As the Province was flourished with members, convents and institutions, it was trifurcated into Thrissur, Irinjalakuda and Plalakkad Provinces in 1977 and later Nirmal Jyothi Mission Province was originated on 22nd June 1998 in Bina. Challenging ventures and undertakings are numerous over the years. Now the province is blessed with the saintly presence of Blessed Eupharasia who was raised to the glories of Holy Altars in 2002 as Venerable, and became Blessed on Dec 3rd 2006.November 23,2014 was a golden in the annals of Nirmala province as she triumphantly received saintly dio St.Chavara and St.Euphrasia with much spiritual fervour and enthusiasm. Hearing the clarion call of the sesquicentinnial jubilee Nirmala proudly moves to the new vistas along with her 618 daughters in all the continents beneath the shadow of the Most High.